CES 2012 – hours away
The time is almost upon again for another amazing show of wonderful (and some wacky) devices powered by our favourite processor architecture ARM, as well as our MIPS and x86 based competitors. This show promises to be one of the most amazing yet. Last year, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer announced that its next generation desktop Operating System would run natively on ARM. So what could possibly match that?
Below is a quick summary of what you can all expect:
1) we have GoogleTV2 being announced on ARM
2) we have the latest OLPC XO-3 (one laptop per child) being announced on ARM
3) we have Qualcomm showcasing their Krait processors using Windows 8
4) we have NVIDIA showing the power of their Tegra3 processors
5) Texas Instruments will be showing what their OMAP 4 processors can make of Google’s latest Android OS (Ice Cream Sandwich)
6) Marvell will be showing off their upcoming quad core processor architecture (so we’ve been told)
7) And of course Intel will be pushing Ultrabooks to the masses as the next best thing – assuming you have plenty of cash and don’t want all day computing
We also hope to hear something from Microsoft about Window 8 and their plans for the ARM architecture. There has been plenty spoken about this on the media, and we don’t agree with most of it. Microsoft will release the full version of Windows 8 including the desktop for ARM and x86. We hope that we will be proved right on this one!
We won’t be in attendance, but we’ll keep you posted with some of the big stories that are bound to come out of CES.